The mission of SWAAG is to facilitate the social, emotional and physical well-being of our independent, maturing members by providing access to community resources, services and activities that help maintain their independence and wellness. In other words, we want to connect you to people and resources in our community that will help you lead an active and healthy lifestyle while enjoying all the Woodlake has to offer.
We are hoping to grow our group and would love your help! Any Woodlake resident can join and we encourage you to invite neighbors. Any questions or sign ups can be directed to the WCA office (804) 739-4344 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Benefits of SWAAG
A healthy diet and physically active lifestyle are primary ways to prevent chronic diseases and manage your weight. An active lifestyle involves getting the minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity daily, with up to 60 minutes necessary for weight maintenance or loss.
An active lifestyle helps to reduce symptoms of stress and depression. Being active provides you with more energy to enjoy life with your family. It can also help improve your ability to simply function daily, especially as you age. A healthy lifestyle can improve your sleep patterns and your overall outlook on life. These lifestyle habits, physical health and exercise, diet and nutrition, cognitive activity, and social engagement can help keep your body and brain healthy and potentially reduce your risk of cognitive decline.
Calendar of Events
June 2017 Program Descriptions
• Walking Group - Meet at the Woodlake Community Clubhouse located next to the Tennis courts for a guided walk on the community trails around the clubhouse. All speeds of walkers are welcome with different distant options available. Finish your walk with time to socialize with fellow walkers.
• Meet & Walk - An informal gathering of SWAAG members who want to add another walk to their week.
• Pickleball - A fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong played on a badminton-sized court and a slightly modified tennis net. It is played with a paddle and a plastic ball. All levels welcome!
• Bridge and Open Game Time at the SRC - Come join your neighbors for Bridge and Open Game Time. Some board games will be provided. Feel free to bring your own. Food is available for purchase.
• Relaxation and Meditation - Medical Studies have shown that relaxation and meditation is simple, effective and proactive approach to improve health including sleep, immunity, heart health, and peace of mind. It can also reduce stress, anxiety and depression. Join this class to experience self-love, inner peace control, calm and contentment with a non-religious, silent, heart –centered meditation practice. Think you can’t calm your mind? This class will show you that you can! Students will reconnect with themselves to relax, restore and recharge...- Sign up required *
• Colored Pencil Workshop - No prior experience needed. The class will cover the basic tools and strokes of colored pencil, the rule of thirds, blending, layers and technique. Sign up required *
• Health & Wealth Series - presented by Virginia Credit Union and Partner MD. Take a deeper look at improving both your health and financial confidence during an innovative six-week program brought to you by Virginia Credit Union and PartnerMD – Richmond’s most active health and finance educators. Participants will roll up their sleeves, take inventory, and learn what it takes to improve both their health and financial situations so that they can live a happier, longer life. Each week will focus on implementing best practices for making small changes that lead to big results.
• Lunch and Learn Series - Lifelong Learning Institute – “Staying Active.” Lunch Provided –Sign up required *
• Line Dancing at the Pavilion with Juli - Have fun and learn some new dances. No dance experience needed. Couples and Singles welcome! Snacks provided. Sign up required *
• Lawn Games at the Pavilion - Come out and play some traditional lawn games. Snacks provided. Sign up required *